Representing estates and facilities professionals operating within the  
 
 

News

 
12
Nov

Dr Foster for sale


The Department of Health and Dr Foster Holdings LLP have announced that Dr Foster Intelligence, the provider of information, analysis and communications to health and social care organisations, will be marketed for sale following a review of strategic options for the business, which was announced in August 2010.

 

The decision follows the Government's Spending Review framework in June, which urged Departments to focus on essential activities, maximise value from assets that do not need be held in the public sector, and ensure value for money for the taxpayer.

 

Dr Foster Intelligence is a commercial company, owned by shareholders. Currently, the Department of Health owns a 48.75% stake, with the remaining 51.25% eing held by Dr Foster Holdings LLP.

 


[quote top=Health minister Simon Burns said:] Organisations should be free to innovate and present data, and the Government should ensure that it is maximising the value of its assets. As our reforms set out, more comprehensive and transparent information, including patients’ own ratings, is vital for true choice. Without it, patients and service users cannot make informed choices and take control of their care. [/quote]

 


Tom Moloney, chief executive of Dr Foster Intelligence, added: "All parties believe that an independent Dr Foster Intelligence will be best placed to help its customers and stakeholders implement the information revolution called for in health services, and we will work together in the coming months to ensure an effective and robust sale process."


Dr Foster Intelligence was established in 2006 as a joint venture between the NHS Information Centre and Dr Foster Holdings LLP. The NHS Information Centre transferred its shareholding to the Department of Health in July 2010.

Archive